Friday, March 23, 2018

Looking Forward to Home 3/23/2018

"I know a man in Christ who fourteen years ago-whether in the body I do not know, or out of the body I do not know, God knows-such a man was caught up to the third heaven.  And I know such a man-whether in the body or apart from the body I do not know, God knows-was caught up into paradise and heard inexpressible words, which a man is not permitted to speak." 2 Corinthians 12:2-4

Very recently, I was blessed with the opportunity to travel to Tanzania.  Many of you know that I pursue photography and this, being a photo safari to Africa, was the ultimate bucket list trip for me.  I cannot begin to tell you what it was like to be on the Serengeti and see wildebeests as far as the eye could see.  The excitement of seeing cheetahs on the hunt, hyenas capturing a wildebeest and a pride of lions cuddling and playing together were things that I had only seen on TV and dreamed of seeing in person.  While camping on the rim of the Ngorongoro Crater, we were able to see zebras being born, baboon mothers carrying their tiny children underneath them as they walked on all fours, and hippos doing the ultimate yawn within a cool pool of weight and temperature relieving water.

While these things were truly amazing and beautiful to see, the weightier aspect of the trip was about something altogether different.  It was about connecting with the continent and the people.  As a black American, even the thought process of being able to visit the land from which one comes is a tantalizing prospect that relatively few ever get to do.  We have always known that we originated from there and we have known how we got to these shores from those.  We are aware that family ties and bonds have been broken and we have no sense of specifically who we are.  Though my personal DNA testing revealed that my roots trace back primarily to Benin/Togo, there is also Cameroon/Congo, Senegal, Ivory Coast/Ghana and Nigeria.  Despite Tanzania being east of all of these places, the connection was in no way diminished.  I instantly felt commonality with everyone there, not just because they look like me, but whether business person, tribal elder or bushman, like them, I come from there and we have a shared ancestry.  The feeling was absolutely indescribable.  I was home.

As I sought God out in prayer, I asked Him what it was I was supposed to learn from this experience and take back to those I love, associate with and serve.  The answer was twofold.  First, there are times throughout the bible that our gracious and benevolent Father has granted his servants rest, revelation and reward.  I believe that all I experienced was a gift from God just for me.  In his own way, he told me to take it all in and enjoy.  I did.  Secondly, however, I could not escape the parallel of the Christian making heaven his and her home.

Beloved, as is the case for many who have found their way to American shores, we Christians are from somewhere else.  We originated with God, himself,  who formed our inward parts, wove us in our mother's womb and caused us to be fearfully and wonderfully made (Proverbs 139:13-14).  We know that we are to be in the world and not of the world (John 17:14) and as Paul described us, we are ambassadors (2 Corinthians 5:20).  As ambassadors, we represent Christ and the things of home while in a foreign land.  We know that through God's grace, we will one day have the opportunity to ascend to our heavenly home and live with him forever.

Paul was fortunate enough to receive a glimpse of heaven while doing the work he was charged to do on earth.  I likewise received the opportunity to experience a metaphor of what it must have been like to see "home."  While I know the differences between my trip to Africa and my eventual relocation to heaven are incalculable, I thank God for the inkling and for his immeasurable gift.  Be encouraged.

Building God's family,

Lee
(Mchungaji)

P.S.  Located within the Great Rift Valley between the Ngorongoro Crater and Serengeti National Park is a place called the Oldupai Gorge.  Here was found the oldest evidence of human existence.  In short, it is generally accepted that all of humanity evolved in and came from Africa.  This fact extends the heavenly metaphor beyond onue people but is inclusive of all, just as John saw in his revelation: "After this I looked, and there before me was a great multitude that no one could count, from every nation, tribe, people and language, standing before the throne and before the Lamb. They were wearing white robes and were holding palm branches in their hands," Revelation 7:9. Thanks go to my newly found brothers in Christ, David McKay and Steve Scurich for your companionship on this journey of enlightenment.  May God to continue to bless and enrich us all.

3 comments:

Christiana Horn said...

What a wonderful experience God has given you! "Home" is a place of rest, and what a blessing to have a glorious "now" experience, plus a glorious foretaste of that forever home! Can't wait to see more pics!

Gryf said...

Thanks for the report! I've been thinking about you on your trip. I was able to make a similar pilgrimage a few years ago, visiting the Borders area of Scotland, where our Ketcherside ancestors resided before emigrating to the US. Although that was seven generations ago, I still felt a sense of homecoming while savoring the landscape and the local people. You and I both will carry these memories of our homelands for the rest of our lives, and I know we'll be the richer for it. Although earthly kingdoms pale in comparison to the Heavenly Kingdom, it's still wonderful to see our place in history and connect in some small way to our ancestors. Hope to see you again soon!

Lee said...

Christiana, thank you so much for your comment and your steadfast support.

Gryf, thank you! Your response is perfect and exactly the imagery and feeling I was attempting to convey.