Wednesday, July 17, 2013

The Protector 7/17/2013

"The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer,
My God, my rock, in whom I take refuge;
My shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.
I call upon the Lord, who is worthy to be praised,
And I am saved from my enemies." Psalm 118:2-3

There are many things in which we place our faith and trust.  Some of us rely upon our own strenghth and human wisdom.  Others rely on their insurance policies and doctors.  Others still, their weapons and household alarm systems.  While these and other things can have their limited effectiveness, consider the literal forcefield of God.

David compared Him to a rock.  More accurately it is a cleft rock in which there is space to hide.  The strong reliability and protection are unmistakeable.  Fortress and deliverer are also metaphors of protection.  As long as we are within the walls, not only are we shielded from the enemy, but our Deliverer fights for us.  Lastly, the horn of salvation brings to mind the weapons of a great beast well equipped to defend itself and its young.

Beloved, we are encouraged to "Trust in the Lord with all our hearts" Proverbs 3:5.  It is only in Him that we can find the ultimate protection from whomever and whatever our enemy is.  For this among all of His other attributes, He surely is to be praised.

Committed,

Lee



No comments: