Monday, July 21, 2014

Jesus' Priorities For Us 7/21/2014

"Getting into a boat, Jesus crossed over the sea and came to His own city. And they brought to Him a paralytic lying on a bed. Seeing their faith, Jesus said to the paralytic, 'Take courage, son; your sins are forgiven.' And some of the scribes said to themselves, 'This fellow blasphemes.' And Jesus knowing their thoughts said, 'Why are you thinking evil in your hearts? Which is easier, to say, ‘Your sins are forgiven,’ or to say, ‘Get up, and walk’? But so that you may know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins'—then He said to the paralytic, 'Get up, pick up your bed and go home.' And he got up and went home." Matthew 9:1-7

Beloved, recently the Lord laid a message on my heart about the priority of the our souls over our bodies, our eternity over our present circumstances. And while all messages that the Lord provides are meaningful to me, I never know how and where they will impact others. Now and then, someone will approach me and let me know that I was preaching to them that day. We smile, hug and thank God together. Yesterday, in perhaps the most profound way that I've ever experienced, one of my brothers in Christ who happens to be a member of our congregation let me know how impactful the word of God was in his life that day. He has given me permission to share with you what he put on his Facebook page.

***

Steve wrote: Sometimes it seems God knows what is on our hearts and who needs scripture and places it on Lee's heart to preach.

"When you take a look at that piece of scripture [Matthew 9:1-7], it seems Jesus assessed the situation, and took action. And what I found interesting about it church, when I began to study it was that Jesus didn't do what many of us might have done. We may or may not have agreed with the order of events as Jesus performed them. I don't know about you church, but I'm just so glad to be in the hands of the Lord who helps with priorities...I'd like to talk about what Jesus knows. There's a difference between what we think, and what He knows. And then based upon what He knows, what he does." -Lee Lewis

I prayed so hard, so many days and nights for the restoration of my mom's health. Eventually, my prayers turned to "My prayer is for her to be restored, but God, your will be done. If it is your will to take her home, make it so." I fought with the feelings of why my Christian mom, who was a devout servant, could suffer for this long. What was all this for? What Gods goal? "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." Romans 8:28 Who could this be good for?

"We sometimes stand against him...these scribes, these pharisees they represent those of us, the parts of us, that doubt and criticize. Have you ever criticized Jesus? Have you ever been in a spot and wondered why he allowed certain things to happen? Why he didn't come directly to your aide on your schedule at your time in the way you proscribed? You ever experience a little bit of doubt in your faith and your spirit?" -Lee Lewis

Yes, Lord. I have. Not a doubt in your power or existence, but a wonder of why. A wonder of direction. A wonder of the need for the suffering.

Well folks, three days after we layed my mom to rest, dad went to church for the first time in years. My prayers turn from the health of my mom, to a more fervent prayer for the spiritual health of my father. May God continue to work in my life, in ways I'll never understand until we meet in heaven.

"Jesus knows it's not about our physical healing on this side of eternity. It's about being made whole for the other side of eternity." -Lee Lewis

God knew his work with mom was done. Now he can continue to work in my life, and my fathers.

[Hear the sermon at this link] http://www.simplechristianity.com/sermons/lee_lewis/2014/Sunday_Morning_-_2014-07-20_-_Lee_Lewis_-_Forgiving_One.mp3

***

One,

Lee

No comments: