Monday, December 16, 2013

Living By Faith 12/16/2013 (rp)

"All these died in faith, without receiving the promises, but having seen them and having welcomed them from a distance, and having confessed that they were strangers and exiles on the earth."  Heb 11:13

One of my most fond memories growing up was going on family vacations.  More to the point, it was the anticipation of going on family vacations.  Once Dad would announce that we were going to Disney or Six Flags or wherever it happened to be that year, the excitement was immediately established and continued to build over time until the day came.  I remember talking about it...a lot!  I told all my friends and teachers, my sister and I chattered with one another constantly and I'm sure I bugged my dad quite a bit about the details, timing and what all we were going to do when we got there.  And of course my behavior was extra good because I in no way wanted to jeopardize that which was to come. I enjoyed that feeling so much that I've built it into my own parenting.

Beloved this is the way we ought to feel about heaven.  More to the point, we should literally vibrate with the excitement associated with one day meeting the Lord face to face.  The Old Testament saints did not have the same advantages that we have today.  The coming of the Savior was still in their future.  As we wait for the second coming, imagine what it must have been like for them to look for the first AND, ultimately, the second.  Nevertheless, they lived faithful lives, anticipating that great day that remains yet in all of our futures.  Abel, Enoch, Noah, Abraham, Sarah, Isaac, Jacob, Joseph, Moses' parents, Moses, Rahab and so many others served God through faith.  In other words, faith provided the "substance of things hoped for and the evidence of things not seen" Heb 11:1.  They are thus memorialized in the "faith hall of fame."

If they had enough love for and faith in God to live godly lives in anticipation of their great reward, should we not much more?  Be encouraged my friends.

Committed,

Lee

No comments: