Thursday, June 27, 2013

Are You Ready? 6/27/2013 (rp)

"Now as to the times and the epochs, brethren, you have no need of anything to be written to you.  For you yourselves know full well that the day of the Lord will come just like a thief in the night." 1 Thess 5:1-2

I have a wonderful relationship with my earthly father.  This relationship was born out of love, nurturing, teaching, provision and discipline.  I have many fond memories of being raised in his household.  There was much laughter and joy and his vocation allowed my sister and I to see parts of the world of which many can only dream. I also remember the not-so-fun times when I had to answer for some of the mistakes I made. 
Through all of it, however, I learned what love is and that my dad had plenty of it for me and the rest of our small family.  Through it all I learned to love him with everything I am.  It was because of both love and discipline that I learned to follow his directions because I knew they were for my good.  When he said to have something done by the time he came back, it was not an option in my mind to do anything less.

Beloved we all have a great and loving heavenly Father.  He likewise provides love, nurturing, teaching, discipline and all that we need for life.  And while a point inevitably comes when our earthly fathers cease raising us, we are constantly being given encouragement, direction and resources to grow by our heavenly Father.  Where that which can be provided by our earthly fathers comes to an end, it gets infinitely and everlastingly better with our heavenly Father if we heed His direction for our lives.  For this reason, just as it did not occur to me to be unprepared for my earthly father's return, we should all likewise have the same attitude for the calling of the Lord.  He has given us much to do in his absence, but has told us, "if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to be with me that you also may be where I am" John 14:3.

Are you ready?

Rejoicing in the Lord,

Lee

No comments: