Friday, February 15, 2013

Remember Who You Are 2/15/2013

"Nevertheless, each person should live as a believer in whatever situation the Lord has assigned to them, just as God has called them."  1 Cor 7:17 (NIV)

When I was a very young man, my dad used to always say to me, "Son, remember who you are."  At that age, the statement came across as less than chastisement but more than advice.  Of course I did not fully understand all of the ramifications of the statement, but the older I got, the more it made sense.  Dad was reminding me of how I was raised, what the rules and regulations were and that wherever I went and whatever I did, I needed to reflect those things.  In short, I represented him.

Beloved, this is true of all Christians as it relates to our relationship with our heavenly Father and leading godly lives.  He has given us His word and in it is found first, His overwhelming love and provision for us.  But it also contains His expectations, most of which are for our own good.  As Christians we must endeavor to resemble Him in all things.  We are reminded in Matt 5:16 to "let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven."

Further, it is important to not miss the fact that God lays out the path for His own.  This means that we might find ourselves in places or situations not necessarily of our own choosing but possibly of God's.  It may very well be that we are there to do the work of the Lord by accomplishing a certain task or reflecting His presence for the benefit of another.  When Paul, who was famously afflicted with a metaphorical "thorn in the flesh" asked to be relieved of it, he was told that God would be glorified through his affliction.  In other words, Paul's overwhelming love for and loyalty to God, despite his discomfort would be an encouragement to others going through the similar or lesser trials.

Let us endeavor to remember not only who we are but whose we are.

Committed,

Lee

No comments: