Monday, January 30, 2012

Help With Self Improvement-1/30/2012

“Why do you look at the speck that is in your brother’s eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ and behold, the log is in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother’s eye.” Matt 7:3-5

Beloved, some of you may not know the origin or the thought process behind this daily devotional. Despite my privilege of serving as minister to the O’Fallon Church of Christ and all that it entails, I felt my personal walk with God was not close enough (can any ever be?). After long consideration and lots of prayer, I decided that producing a daily devotion would bend my head even more to His study, bend my will even more to His will and build my knowledge, understanding and wisdom that I might be better able to serve Him through serving His people. It occurred to me that others may benefit from this and the distribution was born.

I felt the need to reiterate this statement for two reasons. First, I’d like to remind all who read that most of what is written has to do, with me in on way or another. This is not a preaching forum, a commentary on anyone’s life or an attempt to judge. It is true that certain things are observed in life and human interactions that cry out to be spoken about from a scriptural perspective, but even then it is presented first as a reminder to self and then to those who have elected to receive these thoughts.

Secondly, I find myself humbled by and subject to God’s word just like everyone else. Yesterday, I lovingly approached a very dear friend about an issue I observed. The conversation was lovingly received and we talked for a while. During the course of this chat, it became obvious that my friend could have lovingly approached me about the very same thing. What a revelation that was! While I thought I was helping to remove a speck, I looked past my own log.

This is why my favorite verse in all of the Bible is, “Brethren, I do not regard myself as having laid hold of it yet; but one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and reaching forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus” Phil 3:13-14. This is why I stay in His word. I have to. I need to. I thank Him for his lessons from wherever they come. I thank Him for my dear friend and I thank Him for you.

Rejoicing in the Lord,

Lee

No comments: