Friday, August 26, 2011

Perspective- 8/25/2011 (rp)

"This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it." Ps 118:24

Perspective is an interesting thing. It goes a long way in determining how we interact with environments, individuals and situations. The great thing about perspective is that many times we can choose the one we will employ. An example is the classic question of looking at a glass half empty or half full.

This leads me to the following question: have you ever had a bad day? Without a doubt we all endure challenging circumstances from time to time. The unforeseen happens all of the time whether we are prepared for it or not. It is not unusual for this things to seemingly move in a direction that is not in our favor. This in turn has an effect on our mentality and our outlook. If you are anything like me, once things start to go down hill, you probably bring a lot of other things that have nothing to do with it into the situation since you are headed that direction. I even have a name for it. I call it the "vortex."

My personal issues aside, I realized some time ago that I have a choice in how I view and react to things. I can look at them as inconveniences, problems I do not want to deal with and shout to the rooftops, "Why me Lord?" or I can look at them as opportunities to apply my faith, help others, be an example and (gasp) thank the Lord.

Beloved, as easy as it is to decide that we are having a bad day, we can decide that it is a good day. It is one more day that the Lord has given us to live, to laugh, to love and to glorify him. If we decide not to do that because of our circumstances or situations, it is no fault of his. He gave us another beautiful glorious day and let us decide how we use it. If you were told that today would be the last one you had, how would that affect your outlook? How would it affect what you do with the time? What would your perspective be then?

Loving Like Jesus,

Lee

No comments: