Friday, October 8, 2010

Just Say No-DD 10/8/2010

"Submit therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you." James 4:7

Sometimes it seems that Satan is on our backs. At every turn, there he is, hanging something in front of us that tempts us to deviate from the path. He has an impeccable sense of timing as well. Whenever we are at our lowest and most vulnerable, he seems to be right there.

Beloved, the answer to how to deal with this problem is closer and simpler than you think. The contemporary way to express it is to "just say no." To be sure, this is at times easier said than done, but if you were to think about it, you would see that it comes down to just that. You either allow yourself to be overtaken in a fault or you do not. You give in to temptation or you do not. You do the wrong thing or you do the right thing.

To help us with this problem, God through the Holy Spirit and the pen of James gives two pieces of advice. First, we must submit to God. Submission means primarily to be obedient. It is to replace your will with His. In so doing, you can become equipped. Second, he says to resist. In this context, resisting is the opposite of submission. When Satan shows up, we are not to be swayed by his allurements, but instead, we are to take God's part and leave Satan to be disappointed at not being able to turn our heads. As with most things that are bad for us, the more we resist, the easier it will become. It takes time. It takes discipline. It takes effort, but it can be done.

In Revival,

Lee

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is always easier said than done. At this point, I am finding myself becoming anxious because of things that are going on. For example, Finiances are going. I have so many obligations and Things that the family needs. I have found myself looking for employment, promotion and just busy. I know that it is a trick of the enemy and I know that God will supply the needs and is the one to whom the blessing and promotion flow from. But the enemy shows his face and I get caught up because I want the best for my family and there are many needs not wants needs. It is getting overwhelming and flesh desires to do something. I know God is probably saying be still! Pray for a me.
YSIC
PSR