Wednesday, August 11, 2010

The Food of the Lord-DD 8/11/2010

"But he said to them, I have meat to eat that you know not." John 4:32

As the mission trip continues, one of the benefits of being in a foreign country, immersed in a culture quite a bit different than your own, is the ability to experience those differences. They range from the side of the road that is driven on, to the language (or accent in this case), to the food.

Since I have been here, I have had a variety of foods that I've never tasted. Some of the selections are quite good. I never thought I would like goat, especially prepared curry style, but I found it to be delicious. Rice and peas are also big in the Caribbean and this is satisfactory as well. Other native items were not so appetizing. Breadfruit is a staple here, but its soft yet solid texture left an after taste that reminded me of vinyl. Likewise, their fruit punch really is a variety of fruit juices mixed together. The only problem with it is that it includes a generous portion of ginger. I never though much about ginger one way or the other but such a massive dose of it was really off putting and I suspect I'll be sensitive to it from now on.

The real food here, however, is the work that is being done to help God's people and expand the borders of His kingdom. "Jesus said unto them, 'My meat is to do the will of Him that sent me and to accomplish his work.'" John 4:34. His food is satisfying to the soul.



In Revival,

Lee

No comments: