Friday, July 9, 2010

His Grace is Sufficient-DD 7/9/2010

"And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me." 2 Cor 12:9

Last night I visited a member of our congregation in a convalescent home. She is not there because she is particularly old. She is there because she has some fairly debilitating health concerns. She is confined to an electronic wheelchair and has been in need of similar assistance for the majority of her life. She has had a number of surgeries and procedures recently that have proven largely ineffectual as it relates to improving her lot in life. Compounding matters, she can no longer work which subsequently means that she has recently had to endure the loss of her home.

Last night I visited a member of our congregation in a convalescent home. I've rarely met someone who seemed so full of love for the Lord, so full of hope and faith and interestingly enough, so full of peace. Let me be clear. I am not saying that I've rarely met someone in her circumstances with such an amazing attitude and outlook. I am saying that there are few I've had the pleasure of meeting like her period.

Beloved I felt ashamed, in all of my "able bodiedness" and physical well being, of my internal complaints about all I have to do, endure and suffer. I asked myself, "How dare I?" while I listened to her heap lavish praise upon the Lord for all of his blessings despite all that she has had to and in fact is enduring. I was humbled further by the fact that she wants to tell the story of God's love in her life through publishing and speaking. So many of us are not willing to do that out of our health and abundance.

Surely we can take a lesson from our sister. There, but for God's grace, go any and all of us. She finds that same grace sufficient for her life.

In Revival,

Lee

No comments: