Monday, March 24, 2008

Unconditional

It is my hope that you had a joyful resurrection day. It is my further hope that you carry it around in your heart every day. It is because of the death, burial and most importantly, the resurrection that we have been given access to the promises of God, who in His great wisdom, has given us His Holy Spirit as earnest (Eph 1:14).

I was blessed to have dinner with an extended family yesterday after worship. Among the many things we discussed were eggs, gifts and "Easter Bunnies." Naturally, these things have been part of the lexicon of this time of the year for many centuries. Rather than taking up that debate, I find it useful to remind us all about not only the sacrifice of our Savior on our behalf, but something more that is seldom thought about: our role in His crucifixion.

For those of you that are members of the O'Fallon church of Christ, you may be aware of a wonderful piece of art by Thomas Blackshear that hangs in my office. This picture is a constant and powerful reminder to me of both of these things. So my offering this week is a real look at the purpose and point of this time of year. I share with you an original poem inspired by the sacrifice of our Lord.


Unconditional

"There is so much blood!" I groan
As it pools around my feet
The hammer heavy in my hand
Fingers cold from dead nail's grip

Anger's raging inferno
Reduced to cold wet ashes
Righteous indignation
Transformed to crushing guilt

"What have I done to this innocent?"
As my heart collapses within
The insignificance of who I am
Magnified by the immensity of Him

Surely there is no salvation
For the murder that I have committed
His blood is a crimson stain
On my soul, Hester Prynne's letter

Completely undone am I
With no hope left in this world
Contemplating my future destruction
Welcoming what I richly deserve

As my knees buckled, life leaving me
From behind he raised me and said,
"You didn't do this to me,
Out of love I did this for YOU"


Hebrews 6:4-6

Each One Reach One
Each One Teach One

1 comment:

Mowog said...

Lee -- Those were some excellent thoughts! Thanks so much for posting. I hope to check in to your blog regularly, now that I know about it.

Gryf