Monday, May 21, 2007

Thoughts and Answers

The Holy and Divinely Inspired Scriptures never cease to amaze me.

I think about all of the millions of books that have published and are still being written as we speak, but can honestly say that I've read none that are more interesting, fulfilling, meaningful and necessary as the Bible.

Think about it. There's something there for whatever literary appetite you have. There's horror (or certainly things that seem horrific), intrigue, poetry, self help, how-to, romance, prophecy, action, adventure, religion (of course) and on and on. You name an interest and it's there.

I encourage you to read your bibles. Of course I'm a strong advocate of studying your Word, but sometimes it's good just to read it. You have every reason to do it and no reason not to. You'll be amazed by the things you'll pick up. And when you come across something particularly interesting or meaningful to you, stop, consider it, pray on it and perhaps dig a little deeper to see what can be extracted and what can be revealed.

As I was preparing for the message this past Lord's day, it was necessary for me to spend time in I & II Kings to learn more about Elijah. I could just encourage you t read that alone and will have said enough to make it worth your stopping by this week. He has a fascinating story, and the things God did with him will really draw you in. But the thing that caught my attention was this:

"Then he came there to a cave and lodged there; and behold, the word of the LORD {came} to him, and He said to him, "What are you doing here, Elijah?" He said, " I have been very zealous for the LORD, the God of hosts; for the sons of Israel have forsaken Your covenant, torn down Your altars and killed Your prophets with the sword. And I alone am left; and they seek my life, to take it away." So He said, " Go forth and stand on the mountain before the LORD." And behold, the LORD was passing by! And a great and strong wind was rending the mountains and breaking in pieces the rocks before the LORD; {but} the LORD {was} not in the wind. And after the wind an earthquake, {but} the LORD {was} not in the earthquake. After the earthquake a fire, {but} the LORD {was} not in the fire; and after the fire a sound of a gentle blowing. When Elijah heard {it,} he wrapped his face in his mantle and went out and stood in the entrance of the cave. And behold, a voice {came} to him and said, "What are you doing here, Elijah?" 1 Kings 19:9-13

Now I could preach for a month on just these five verses, but one of the things that jumped out at me was the fact that God was not in the strong destructive wind, the earthquake, nor the fire, but in fact was in the calm and gentle breeze. I was blown away!

A lot of people wonder why God does or allow things that are so destructive. I would invite them to read this passage.

I will withhold my thoughts on the deeper meanings of this passage for now, but I would like to know what this says to you, your life and your walk with God.

Suffice it to say that the Word challenges, enlightens, educates and edifies. Pick up your bible and read it today. You'll be glad you did.

May the great God of Heaven grant you every spiritual blessing.

No comments: